Thursday, March 12, 2009

New Years '09 at the Cabin

To continue into my second phase of updating the blog, I will now post on New Years 2009!

We spent our New Years up at the cabin in Island Park, ID again and loved it! We are trying to establish a tradition of going there with Tasha's friends from High School. It's been lots of fun and we have now done it 2 years in a row.

This year, the Perkins' brought their mom with them and she was so fun to be around. She also brought her now beloved cotton candy machine. It was awesome! I am pretty sure we had more cotton candy in those few days than I have up to this point in my entire life! We snowmobiled, pulled a tube around the island on a four-wheeler, went sledding, played games, slept in, and enjoyed the serenity of winter in Island Park. Truly there is nothing like it. We also watched the numerous college football bowl games (to Doug's great pleasure we saw the Utes beat down 'Bama). And we had a Lord of the Rings Marathon! It was awesome! (Well, it wasn't a true marathon.... we watched the movies on continuous nights, not all in one night). But, you've never seen LOTR until you've seen it with the Perkins'! It inspired me to read the books (which I am proud to say, I've just finished the first one). Here are some pictures of the trip.

This picture is of Randy (Tasha's uncle) holding a tube at the top of the hill, Jenn, and Emma all bundled up.


Here is Emma with "Papa" getting ready to tube down the hill. "Papa" forgot his hat at the cabin, so he made one out of sweatshirt. This is one of my favorite sledding pictures!


This is Kira, Tasha's youngest sister. If you don't know Kira, you're missing out. This picture is classic Kira!


I'm reminded of "A Christmas Story" where Ralphie "can't put my arms down!!!!" Doesn't she look so cute all bundled up?


This is Tasha making Emma pull her up the hill. Emma was such a trooper! She got her all the way to the top.


Tasha and Jenn getting ready to be flung down the hill by Randy.


The traditional New Years toast with Martinelli's Sparkling Cider (I can drink like 1/2 oz of that stuff... it's so carbonated it hurts my throat!). Left to Right: Sister Perkins, McKay (notice the beard), Jenn, Doug, Catherine, Adam , Kira, Mark (notice the lack of beard, but not for lack of trying), Tasha, Kindra, Mom, Dad.


Missing from the picture are: Perkins' twins (actually one of them is in Catherine's arms, but I can't tell which one), Avalyn


and Emma


Emma was not in the picture this year because this was how she responded last New Year's when she woke up for the dropping of the ball and New Year's Toast...


New Years '08

Needless to say, we learned not to wake Emma.

For those of you who couldn't make it this year, you now officially know what you missed out on! It was a blast! Thanks to all who took the time out of their schedules to come up and enjoy the week with us. We are so grateful for such good friends!

5 comments:

daurenet said...

Ok I will be the first to make a comment. What a great post. I loved it. I laughed, I cried, I remember eating most of that cotton candy. What fun memories. And I agree about the classic Kira picture. And the "I can't put my arms down" is the truth. Good post. I love it. I love our cabin. And your right, those that didn't make it really missed out.
Love ya, grandmat

Jen said...

So sad that we missed out! (But at the same time so glad that we were there for couple's Wii boxing at the Robertson house-- especially when my mom pounded down on my dad). I know McKay was sad he missed his last chance to share a room with Doug. He's all mine next year!

Meg said...

Hey guys, Dave and I want to send you a baby announcement but we don't have your address. Could you send me a quick email with it? Thanks! Also, your little Emma is so adorable! It looks like you guys have tons of fun with her!

Meg said...

p.s. my email is meganfclark@gmail.com

Shayla said...

wow I TOTALLY missed out! Forget the fact that I wasn't invited... :)