Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Mother - What a woman!

Many of you who know me closely probably already know about my mom being diagnosed with ALS (more info about what that is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Als but be prepared to be saddened by what a terrible disease it is) about this time last year. Well, time flies and it's already been a year. I can't help but feel a little sad that I haven't done more to capture more of what makes her so amazing for my girls to remember. I think what makes me the most sad about this entire situation is that I know my girls (and future children) won't understand or get to see what an amazing woman she is. I cringe thinking about what that future will be like and it makes me sad enough that I just try to block it out. But it's like our shadow and it just lingers in the background and I know eventually it will be a reality for our family.

She has been there through every major life experience (college graduation below).

The disease is taking its toll on her body, but her spirit and mind are as sharp as ever. Her positive demeanor and attitude are still shining through despite the frustrations of losing the ability to walk or do some of the things we all take for granted on a daily basis. How I love and appreciate her. I am who I am today because of my mother.

I will hold in my heart and mind the images of her rocking my children (below is a picture of she and Annie). She has always loved children and has such a gentle touch to calm even the most troubled child.


Just this morning Emma prayed "please bless that Grandma Merrill know how much we love her." We all express it in different ways, but universally those who know my mother would echo this love that my sweet daughter expressed this morning. If you don't know her, I would say the best way to describe her can be said in one word: Amazing.

The painting below (done by my very talented brother) was one of the last pictures she and my dad had together before he passed away and is about the only image that brings any joy to her situation. But what a joyous reunion it will be.


I love you Mom!

1 comment:

Mindy Thomas said...

She really was such a happy and sweet mom.(from what I remember) All of her children turned out to be amazing as well. I am sorry to hear about this and what you are all going through. I will remember you all in my prayers! Great post.