You start by sprinkling just a little bit of water on the tortilla, then put it in the microwave for just a few seconds (like 10 or 15) to make it warm so it's easier to fold. Then once you've folded it, you cut the shapes you'd like (just like paper snowflakes).
While cutting the snowflake, put a little bit of oil in a pan to heat up so the tortilla will fry in the pan.
When the tortilla has fried enough (to your liking), turn it over until the other side is done as well.
The all important next step is where Emma probably had the most fun. The sugar! We mixed cinnamon and sugar together to sprinkle on top of the fried tortilla. Emma mostly enjoyed taking spoonfuls of sugar and putting them in her mouth fast enough so Mom didn't see. I did see it and thought it was cute enough to take a picture (I only let her do it once for the picture.... maybe twice....).
Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar over the tortilla. We also sprinkled Christmas sprinkles to make it more festive. We also had some red and green baking sugar that added to the Christmas feel of the snowflakes.
Emma's next favorite part was eating the tortillas and having sugar caked on her face. She licked all within reach of her tongue.
I very much enjoyed this tasty, festive treat!
You'll notice this is the only picture of Tasha on this post. She threatened me with a look that only a loving wife can give that I was not to post any of the other pictures. :) It was fun to see Emma and Tasha get into this family activity together.
With all of this sugar around, there had to be at least a few funny faces pulled. It was too perfect to resist. Contrary to what you are thinking, this picture was posed. I stuffed my face in the sugar that fell off of the tortillas.
This was one of many fun family events we did in December. We'll post on more, but this is all I have time for right now.
P.S. Those of you who have been calling for more recent pictures of Emma (cause let's be honest, when you tell us to post again, you just want to see her), I hope this tides you over until we post about her Christmas, her 2nd birthday, and New Years.
9 comments:
So cute! Love that Emma knows what the good stuff is! Love that girl!
I'm glad you finally updated the blog. That picture of Emma sneaking the sugar is great.
Thanks for the update. Good job on the snowflakes. We should have made those up at the cabin. And your right I do love seeing her and Oh you guys too!
Love ya,
mom
What a cute idea!! I love fried tortillas and cinnamon. . .I'm sure they taste even better, snowflake shaped! I might have to copy your creation, mark:) Emma is so cute! Love the picture of her!
Yum-yum. I tried making those once but I gave them a little broil in the oven instead...I bet your way is a little tastier. I may have to try it.
I hope your little family is doing well. I need to pop by sometime while I am down. :)
I don't know if I can take you seriously as an authority figure anymore after seeing the last picture . . .
Nikki
Wow Emma is a lot bigger than last time I saw her (probably...right after she was born...) I can't believe you didn't mail me a snowflake or something. I'm hurt.
Hey Mark! I love the snowflake tortillas that is so cool and a fun idea! Family night activity!:) haha I just wanted to say hello and see how you are doing its been forever!
WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO UPDATE THIS BLOG? just wondering.
Love you guys I wish youwere here.
Post a Comment